Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Oh My Yarn!

So today, I made my first ever trek to a “local” yarn store. Local is in parenthesis because this particular yarn store, while the closest, is still about 20 minutes from my workplace. My work is a good 40 minutes from my home, so that makes it a good hour from my house. Eek. So, I walk in and almost immediately feel overwhelmed at the amount of different types of yarn they have. Different textures, materials, weight and colors, soo many colors! I can almost here the little devil on my right shoulder laughing maniacally at me “ha! Lunch hour my ass, make it a lunch afternoon!” But I was good; I only spent about an hour in there. Of course, I was only supposed to spend about 20 minutes, but I digress.

I ended up buying the Stitch ‘n Bitch Crochet: Happy Hooker book, because I’d seen the Fat Bottom Bag on a few other blogs and had an “I want that” moment. As I was paying, I thought to myself that I could probably pick this book up on eBay or something for cheaper than the $16.00 that I was paying, but I’m glad I got it. Once I got back to work, I started flipping through it and already have 8 projects tagged. Of course, most of them require a skill level higher than I possess, but I’ll get to those later.

I also bought two skeins (or is it hanks? I don’t know) of this really cool looking yarn by Cascade Yarns called Sierra Quatro. It’s a cotton/wool blend and I’m not sure what I’m going to make with it, but I decided I needed to have it when I saw it. I bought two to make sure that I have enough for whatever small project I may find.

Before today, all of my yarn purchases have been made at either Joann’s or Michael’s. No more. No more, I tell you. How could I go back into one of those stores and not feel completely disappointed at everything I see there? Ugh, why can’t there be a LYS that’s actually local, like next door?!

So first on my list of “must makes” from the book will be the Fat Bottom Bag or the One-Skein Scarf. Of course, that’s after I finish my second try at Celeste’s hat. The first try ended up too small for her and ended up as a hat for Camille. Oh well, at least it wasn’t a complete waste.


No comments: